Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Blog Post PP#6, Tirakian

Caity Tirakian
PP#6 
Through this project, I have learned that living vicariously through your children is dangerous and harmful, but is fixable. There are many negative implications to both this style and the opposite extreme of neglect or being permissive. It is necessary that the parent recognize why they behave in the way they do. The three main causes as to why parents live through their children are that parents never got to experience the thing they are pushing on their kid, parents want to benefit through their children’s success, or parents feel the need for their child to be perfect. While living through your children seems helpful, it has a very negative effect on the children. Parents just need to realize it’s better to work in agreement with their child and not through them. I would constitute my parents as part of that intermediate group of Authoritative. Not to toot my own horn, but I thought this was highly effective. I was raised with set expectations but my parents still entrusted me with a lot of responsibility and personal decision making. This style of parenting allows freedom for both parties and has allowed me to learn from my own mistakes while still knowing that I can go to my parents if the mistake really calls for some help beyond my reach. 

No comments:

Post a Comment